Saturday 23 April 2011

My Dorset Foody Adventure

On our first night in Lyme Regis, hubby and I walked to the very pink, The Mariners Hotel and Restaurant, and treated ourselves to a meal out (well after the long drive, I didn't want to cook....that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it).

Anyway, the Mariners is a wonderfully quirky place with porthole windows and large comfy sofas in the lounge. The friendliest of staff, who cannot do enough to accommodate you, chat to all of their guests in between doing the necessities of their working roles.

We were shown into a sitting room and given the menu and wine list and the waitress went through the specials and highlighted a couple of dishes as well as suggesting a few different wines with these dishes.

We had an aperitif whilst waiting and got chatting with a wonderful couple from London who also suggested dishes to try in the future.

Anyway, we were called through for dinner and we were soon tucking into our starters and some lovely homemade bread and butter.

Although we both ordered fish, I far prefer red over white wine, so ordered a nice bottle of red wine, an Italian Merlot Corvina. I don't usually like mixed grape wines but this wine was easily drinkable and went actually well with our meals.

As some of you know, I had a lung transplant 8 months ago and because of it, there are certain foods I am now unable to eat like shellfish, pate, unpasturised cheeses and cured meats and fish. After excluding all of these factors,it usually leaves me little choice (usually soup, soup or soup). However The Mariners offered Feta and Courgette Fritters with a Spicy Tomato Sauce.


I have to say the fritters themselves were fairly bland and tasted a little floury from the batter (a good pinch of S&P and a touch of fresh chilli would have really elevated them) but the spicy tomato did help them. It had an acidic, rhubarb taste and the spicing was just right. Overall, not bad.


Main course time and I had the Fisherman's platter (minus the shellfish). This was a delicious plate of salmon, cod and sardines with a herb butter sauce. Two large bowls of jersey new potatoes and vegetables accompanied the dish and for the most part, it was delicious. For me, there was too much butter sauce on my plate but it was delicious especially the sardines (the highlight of the meal) The fishermans platter was one of those dishes that, when served, looked small and you think "where's the rest of it" but, by the time you've eaten half of it, you're not sure the other half is going to fit...lol.

To finish I ordered warm chocolate brownie with homemade vanilla ice cream.
Having been on a diet for what seems like forever, to be able to have a total indulgence like this amazing brownie and not just a tiny slice or small nibble was an absolute treat. It had a wonderful fudginess and was filled with chunks of pecan, giving a lovely crunch. The accompanying chocolate sauce was a little thin but full of flavour and the ice cream was packed full of vanilla and was silky smooth. Absolutely perfect.

This lovely three course meal for 2, a bottle of wine, 2 coffees and aperitifs to start came to about £80 which I thought was pretty good value. I would happily go back and eat here and know I would receive good service and eat in a comfortable and friendly atmosphere.


No comments:

Post a Comment