Thursday 5 May 2011

My Dorset Food Adventure - The Wild Garlic

My Dorset food adventure took me to some fabulous eateries including The amazing The Wild Garlic and Hix Oyster and Fish House (review to come).

The Wild Garlic was simply stunning. The food was outstanding, the staff very helpful and friendly, the atmosphere relaxing and before we knew it, 2 and 1/2 hours had flown by.

Little details all around the restaurant add to the magic of the place, like the pots of black peppermint sitting on each table (especially grown for the restaurant), the carved foody words and phrases around the edge of the tables, the lovely bread with olive oil and balsamic put on the table as you wait for your meal and the calming decor.

One of the stand out dishes of my whole week away, was my amazing starter.


It was pigeon breast with a pear puree, pickled quails eggs and black pudding crumble. Every mouthful was absolute pleasure and my only sadness was that it was over and finished so quickly.

This was followed by an amuse bouche of spring vegetable soup which was velvety smooth and delicious. Then the main course.......Dover Sole with brown butter. An amazing fish, cooked beautifully with every mouthful an absolute joy to eat.


Lastly, the most delectable chocolate fondant i've ever had (has anyone noticed the general theme of this review ;-) ). This was an amazing combination of a bitter chocolate fondant which was wonderfully oozy in the centre, with a creamy sweet banana ice cream.

On top of all of this wonderful food, I got to meet the main man himself, Mat Follas. He not only came out to present us (hubby and me) with our starters (which I think is a really lovely touch for his customers, and much appreciated), he also took time out of a busy lunch service to say hello before we left. I can't praise The Wild Garlic enough and it is definitely a restaurant i'll be going back to again and again.


1 comment:

  1. Wow ! This is somewhere I'd love to go. The food sounds AMAZING x

    ReplyDelete